Sunday, November 22, 2009

PARIS PHOTO

One of the advantages of living in Paris is, all the events you can assist; gallery openings, exhibitions, conferences, art fairs, festivals, avant premiers all kind of cultural events. This weekend was Paris Photo turns.

I don’t know if I’m getting cynical but Paris Photo and the FIAC have been a disappointment for me, I can’t find anything really interesting. During my first experience within these kind of events I used to find them breath taking. I don’t know if the production has become impoverished as the market or I have been over saturated of images.

The Paris Photo and the FIAC seemed to be full of selling material, pieces that can be easily sold as decoration. The criteria of the pieces chosen by galleries and artists was aiming towards the market in a shamelessly way. I could rarely find a piece that deserved any special attention. Of course there were some pieces of artist that I’m not able to judge since I respect them much, nevertheless I do not consider them their best works.

As Henri Matisse has one said we should look at life with the eyes of a child, but my sight has been so corrupted by all this exposure to images. How can I find my way back to look at life with the eyes of a child, if creation begins with vision, how can I create out of this mess??? And appreciate Art again, be surprised, astonished, overwhelmed. I want to feel butterflies flying in my stomach again before entering to an art exhibition, as when I fall in love, I want them back.

No comments: